Monday, November 17, 2008

FAGGOT.

Last week, I was having a conversation with a buddy of mine, in Baltimore. For the sake of this posting, Im going to call him Jalyn. Jalyn is a Strict Top, and for the most part, exudes a Masculine, Alpha-Male Brovado. Over the past few years, I have engaged in conversations with him, where he describes for me the various young men who he has slept with and dated. The majority of the dudes he tends to date are rather effiminate. Accordingly, Ive witnessed his reaction to the behaviors of young men who possess feminine qualites and mannerisms; most of which are by nature, and not by force. Jalyn tends to be extremely abrasive in his verbal, disparaging commentary, regarding feminine dudes. Though he sleeps with them by night, he calls many of them Faggots and Sissies by day. Usually, I let the mud slide, but recently, I pulled him up on the issue. I said to him, 'Jalyn, You have a prejudice against soft, feminine men.' He paused for a moment and replied, 'Yea, I do.'

What has always bothered me about fairly Masculine Brothas who judge, criticize and chastize those who are Feminine, is the fact that it further divides the united stand of our community; a divide that exists along a plethora of lines and alignment. I am sometimes SHOCKED, even now, by the fact that dudes will allow these same young men to suck their dicks and swallow their nut, but publicly degrade them for their behaviors and mannerisms, alike.


In 2001, I dated a young man who lived in Washington, DC. He was two years older than me, at the time. I think he considered himself to be 'The Trade'; a young man who is able to give-off the physical prowess and brovado of a HeteroSexual male.
Spending time with him and his friends for four months, gave me an inside look at just how FEARFUL some Gay men are of the presense of other, flamboyant, Gay men. These feminine and flamboyant young men are a reminder of our attractions to the same sex. As a result, those who are not as in touch with their sexual identity, are fearful of those who are.

This level of FEAR and ANXIETY is one of the stems of the word, FAGGOT.


For the past seven years, I have steadily watched young men who naturally walk with a switch, speak with a lisp and appear with soft features, not only receive torment from the community, but also receive a great deal of ridicule from the Gay community itself. It frightens me, often times, to know that the effiminate males of our community can not even be promised refuge within the confines of our subcultured circle. We use the word FAGGOT so freely, not taking into account the fact that by doing so, we are empowering others to use it readily AGAINST us.

I FEAR the levels of FEAR that some of our Masculine Brothas Feel when in the Presence of Our Feminine Brothas.
Its that sense of FEAR that is responsible for the Deaths and Slayings of so Many of our Perished & Forgotten.


There are Brothas of the 'Trade Persuasion' who defend and honor those who are labeled as 'FAGGOTS'...'SISSIES' and 'PUNKS'

However, to the Ignorant Outside Community, Masculine or Feminine, we're ALL considered to be the Same;
Hence the Reason PROP 8 was Passed on Election Day.

'Creation is Representation' [Xem; August 2008]

'Knowledge and Artistry ABOVE My own VANITY' [Xem; July 2008]

'Im Drenched in Love and Showered by Support'[Xem; April 2008]

'Life Without Photographs are Moments that Never Happened'
[Xem; August, 2007]

4 comments:

Unknown said...

it's a damn shame. we feed into the divide and conquer bullshit of our enemies with this behavior. good insight X.

Unknown said...

It is all about what others think about who and what we are...it is SO sad that men FEAR each other YET in the cover of night they seek the very thing that makes them afraid...

Anonymous said...

It's not just isolated either. The lesbians do it too with more masculine women. I sometimes believe that some gay people never want to give up their ability to "pass" as straight...

Prince Todd said...

Like you said it is all about them being unable to confront that which they loathe themselves. It is all about that internalized homophobia...which is rampant in the black gay community.