Monday, August 25, 2008

Will She GO...or...Will She STAY?

The RETURN
of an
R&B InGenue
BRANDY

Years ago, circa 2004, Brandy included a final track on her AFRODISIAC album that coined the question, 'Shall I Go, or Shall I Stay?'

On the album track, Brandy melodically expresses her disdain for the intricate ways in which the music industry had changed between the days of her mainstream success with such Sugar and Lemon Tea singles, 'I WANNA BE DOWN'- 'BEST FRIEND', and the moderate success of an album that juxtaposed her Honey Coated vocals with Powerhouse, R&B beats created by Mega-Producer, Timbaland. Brandy had once upon a time, pre the BEYONCE and ASHANTI era, caterpaulted into SuperStardom, moving Quadruple-Platinum units of her Breakthrough and Sophomore compilations. With the publics thirst for Sexy Clad Divas, sliding across stages with a Mic in one hand, and a palm full of Thigh or Ass in another, was Brandy prepared to compete amongst the Ladies who had taken to Center Stage of the R&B genre, and the Music Industry of Competition of Staying Power Antics?

Its been FOUR YEARS since Brandy released AFRODISIAC, which still reigns, critically, as some of the best and most illustrious material of her 14 year career. The album is compiled of an array of songs that vividly frame the spectrum of emotions, desires and feelings that filled Brandy's existence during the first 'ADULT YEARS' of her livelihood. Brandy's fans and adoring public, alike, were finally given a raw peek into the woman who she had become, and the artist who she was destined to be. Commercially, however, the album did not translate well into high sales or chart topping appeal. As a result, Brandy was dropped from her Home Label, ATLANTIC, and forced to choose a new direction; en route of career Stature.

As numerous Singles, previously Unreleased and Promotional, have leaked from Brandy's catalogue over the past 4 years, she has FINALLY found a new Musical Home with EPIC records, as well as solidifying an OFFICIAL, November 11th release date, for her 5th Studio LP. Appropriately titled, HUMAN, Brandy is delivering a project that is sure to paint yet another landscape of emotions and personal struggle, before the eyes of those of us who still belieeve in her ability to create classic, timeless music. Brandy has sustained a fan base that has followed her growth and maturation between Teenage Stardom and Womanhood. With every Car Crash Charge, Ousting from Judging repsonsibilities on National Talent Showcases, and critical pans from reporters and media conglomerates across the circuit, Brandy has managed to stand on her own two feet.

She is BACK with a Highly Anticipated Project, though, in My Opinion, the lead single, RIGHT HERE[Departed], is not strong enough to guarantee a First Week Sales High that will promise the release of future singles, videos, and possibly, a supporting tour. Clearly, MOST of the singles that leaked from Brandy's catalogue in 2006 and 2007, delivered a stronger blend of Brandy's vocals with the Mainstream production quality from some of the Industry's finest. MAYBE...Hopefully...EPIC will release a second, accompanying single, BEFORE the Official United States distribution of, HUMAN.

'Creation is Representation' [Xem; August 2008]

'Knowledge and Artistry ABOVE My own VANITY' [Xem; July 2008]

'Im Drenched in Love and Showered by Support'[Xem; April 2008]

'Life Without Photographs are Moments that Never Happened'[Xem; August, 2007]

9 comments:

. said...

man this is so funny. i was talking to a friend about this exact thing last week. i think the song is a great reintroduction, a nice get your feet wet type of song, but i think her 2nd single will have to be released in order to really push the album to that next level. i personally love right here(departed), but agree with you when you say that you just don't feel it will garner the attention that i am sure epic is expecting for this album. i am going to really be studying what sonja is doing as far as marketing for this album and how the label and her decided to really sell her this go around.

at least she is doing oprah, which should help with sales. so only time will tell sir. only time will tell.

but i personally prays that she will stay with or without bomb first week sales. it's been way too long since afrodisiac.

*goes to listen to 'say you will*

deonte' k said...

My girl will do fine... I will make sure of it lol... I like the approach she and the record company is going.... her single is getting alot of buzz... im already hearing it on the radio here in MD and I can't wait for her album to drop!!!!!!!!!!! ~go brandy~ lol

TheBlacks said...

Brandy LIVES ... I can't wait for the next CD to drop.

chacoyrami said...

Right Here (Departed) is one of those songs that when its video premieres and is played in the club will blow up for Brandy. The kids will "live". I know I will. The same happened for Jennifer Hudson. WOO-HOO, WOO-HOO!!!

Acoustic Soul said...

I don't see what all the hype is about Brandy's new CD coming out.

Can she hold a note? Sure, but her vocals don't blow me away. Her stage show is mediocre.

Don't get me wrong, I like her alright, but I don't think she'll ever surpass the work she did on Afrodisiac.

Cash S. said...

I'm looking forward to her new project. It should be nice.

Q said...

I live for Brandy! Go back to Full Moon and listen to "When You Touch Me", and "Like This"...Ooooh!

Darius T. Williams said...

I think we're all ready to see what she has to bring to us.

yet another black guy said...

I'm pulling for Brandy big time. A friend of mine met her and could not stop praising her. And Aphrodisiac? Still in heavy rotation son.