Wednesday, August 6, 2008

UnDeserved. OverRated.

Luda Chris Bridges
CRASH

Beyonce Knowles & Jennifer Hudson

DREAMGIRLS

As quite a few of you know, I DO NOT Believe in, nor do I support the notion of the 'ARTISTIC LICENSE'. The 'ARTISTIC LICENSE' in Hollywood is the Free Pass that's offered to Celebrities who are successful in one genre of the entertainment industry, to segway their usual, less than mediocre talents, into another spectrum of the HollyWood system.

For me, I have NEVER accepted the idea of PoP, Rap, Hip-Hop, R&B or Country Stars being given LEAD roles in Major, BlockBuster films. Its very rare, amongst our generation, that such Cross-Genre stars, including WILL SMITH, JAMIE FOXX and QUEEN LATIFAH, have been GOOD at More than one artistic craft. As a trained artist of sorts, I get Upset just KNOWING that there exists TALENTED actors and actresses; some of whom have studied theater for 5-10 years, who arent even being considered for Hollywood Leading Roles, BECAUSE they are automatically being given to Undeserving Stars like BEYONCE, JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE, USHER, LUDACHRIS and GWEN STEFANI; to only name a few. I have NOT been pleased or impressed with a Screen Performance from a Music Celebrity since I last saw Jennifer Lopez portray SELENA...and that performance came to fruition BEFORE Jennifer even began recording her Smash Hit, 1999 Album.

I know, from my Media studies, that Hollywood Executives make ALL of their decisions based upon STAR Factor and Revenue. HOWEVER, it has been PROVEN that putting a Music Icon on the Silver Screen does NOT guarantee Box Office $ales. Critics usually pan the performances for GOOD reason, and the films, themselves, suffer on both ends; Commercially and Critically, alike.

I will NEVER allow Singers/Musical Performers to Star in ANY of my film and/or Television Projects. I DONT even want them Guest Starring on any Episodes of Television Series that I may Direct or Executive Produce. The job of a Singer/Musical Performer, as it pertains to the Movies and Cinema medium, is to contribute their vocals to the Soundtrack; in which case Ill ALWAYS be using Struggling, UnKnowns.

My mission, as God has already shared with me, is to use the Opportunity that he shall bestow upon me, to Open the Doors for OTHER xtremely TALENTED Unknowns. I will ALWAYS use Theatrically Trained Actors and Actresses, as I will ALWAYS use Costume Designers, Crafts Services, Hairstylists, MakeUp Artists and Musicians who are Up and Coming. My Editors, Lighting Techs and Camera Operators will most likely be Experienced Veterans in the industry. However, its TIME that the Industry resort BACK to the Days in which ONLY real Talent was incorporated into our On-Screen Projects. Now, we only get this Pop Scene Fluff.

ENOUGH is ENOUGH!


Justin Timberlake

BLACK SNAKE MOAN

Gwen Stefani

THE AVIATOR

Usher Raymond

IN THE MIX



'Life Without Photographs are Moments that Never Happened'[Xem; August, 2007]

7 comments:

Darius T. Williams said...

I love how passionate you are about this. BUT you gotta admit - Usher was too cute in "In The Mix."

slimm215 said...

yeah he is passionate about it Darius but damnit luda was good in Crash. lol I mean he looked a mess but he was good. But for the most part i totally agree with you. But i have a question. Would J Hud really fall into this category? I mean she wasn't really a recording star before she tried out for DREAMGIRLS. Technically she is still not a recording star. So all she really is an upcoming actress. So Take her off the list sir. lol

1/3 said...

LOL I agree with slim Jennifer hudson was def an unknown before dreamgirls so cut her some slack k? lol anyways, U are absolutely right I hate musicians as actors/actresses. I def get more excited about big name actors when i get to the movies. I'm glad you are gonna let those who actually know the art of acting to star in your films.

deonte' k said...

*kicks in the door* did someone say something about Beyonce & Jennifer over here????

Well I do have to agree with slimm about Jennifer. I truly do. Even tho she tried out for american idol 1st she has yet to release her a album (which is in store Sept. 30th may I add). She has been in two hit movies so far, and I think she's really is a upcoming actress. Which I think is pretty darn cool lol. Even tho music was sorta what she was trying to presue @ 1st, she still became and ACTRESS 1st. So to some people who is not a fan of the show would not know she was trying to be a singer. Most know her as an actress. And she can act! So tec Jennifer Hudson is known as a successful actress 1st. I think she soon should be added to the category with Will Smith, and Queen Latifah (two of my favorites) because with her music she will also make a big impact on the music scene as well. And in some cases its good to have a actres like Jennifer who is talented in both areas to play a role in a movie that requires the actress to be able to sing & act. And that's what she did in Dreamgirls SANG & ACTED her ass off!

And I have to also agree with you, because some musical artist should not be cast in some films, because a lot of them can't act, and I too believe that there r actors out here that has studied this craft 4 years, and never get a break because of this. So when u decide to start casting actors for stuff holla @ me, because I been struggling @ it 4 years lmao. ;)

P.s. Luda was good in Crash... I'm sorry lmao!

WhozHe said...

I agree that Luda's performance was over-rated in Crash, but the best part of his acting was when Terrence Howard beat the crap out of him, then Terrence did it again in Hustle and Flow. Now taking a azz kicking, Luda does well.

Acoustic Soul said...

Okay, ok . . .has any of the smoke cleared (LOL)??

Of all the actors out there I do agree that the industry has taken the easy way out by casting Singers/rappers as actors. Not just actors but giving them leading roles.

I'm sorry, but Beyonce has NO business on the big screen unless she's singing. She's a horrible actress. When an entire cast of a movie wins award after award and she doesn't, there is an obvious clue there.

Justine Timberlake, Gwen Stefanie, Andre 3000, Chris Bridges (Ludacris) and others who are simply rappers or singers should stick to their craft.

I'm sure it's humiliating for established as well as up and coming actors to be over looked for a sad sad performance by a musician.

Will Smith, Queen Latifah, and Jamie Foxx have done very well with crossover sucess. In the end, we are all out to try to make money and live comfortably, so in the end, I only wish them well.

umm. . . .Jennifer Hudson? I have to agree with the rest of your commentors in saying because she has yet to release an album, and she did Dreamgirls and Sex and the City before even releasing a single, she would need to be included as an actress turn singer.

dr. lala 2b said...

i do feel your passion dear, because when beyonce' was starring in austin powers 3, i was like what the hell. i'm more than sure that there's some woman who is up and coming and would have taken much less money and done a better job. but i do think that she was o.k. for dreamgirls since it was about singers and clarly they wanted good voices. i have heard jennifer hudson's first single (i don't know if it comes on hip-hop stations, but steve harvey plays it daily) and i think it's a dayum good thing that she won hearts with dreamgirl and sex in the city cause when i hear that single, i turn it OFF, which sucks cause she has a good voice!