I was only 6 Years old when I had the distinct pleasure of being assigned to Room 111 at Mt. Washington Elementary School; a Classroom designed for Advanced First Grade Students, combined with Like-Minded Second Grade Students. My Young life would NEVER be the Same after spending My First, Mainstream School Year, in a MainStream School Setting, under the Teaching Direction of Mr. Micheal McNelly, and the Head, Principal Direction of Ms. Edna Greer.
Mr. McNelly and Ms. Greer have worked together, traveling to Three schools together, over the past 25 years. They have been paired to reconstruct the academic, social and scholastic environment of LeithWalk Elementary School; the LARGEST, Public Grade school that exists here in Baltimore, Maryland. As one of the FEW schools whose standardized tests have seen a wopping increase in percentages, The BALTIMORE SUN Paper, Highlighted the two of them, this Past Week, in Tuesdays Evening Edition.
My Best Friend, SHEVONNE, Who You've Seen, ALL OVER this Site, attended Mt. Washington Elementary School WITH Me, during those Significant Years. While she doesnt agree that Mr. Micheal McNelly had a Very Strong Influence upon her Life, and her Early, Childhood Years, I DEFINITELY HONOR Him, for his Innovative styles of Teaching, and his means of Xposing each of us, to Various forms of Song, Dance, Theater, History and Culture. I HONESTLY Think about him, often, ESPECIALLY as I venture into New Therapeutic Behavioral Positions, and am working with or teaching various groups of children. As the Baltimore Sun article clearly states, 'McNelly and Greer have always altered the set Curriculums sent to each school, as to fit the individual needs of their students'. Thats one element of being one of Mr. McNelly's students in the 1st, 2nd and 5th Grades, that has kept my Mind Connected to him over the years. I was NEVER Bored in his classroom, for it was his idea to use extra curricular methods to engage our attention into the mundane skills and lessons that created each school day.
I remember Mr. McNelly teaching us, by seperating us into various academic groups, and motivating our desire to learn and study, by having in-house, classroom contests. We maintained proper and appropriate behavior by working towards being labeled, 'Table of The Week' on Fridays. Instead of having regular Holiday events, We would have Holiday Dinner Parties, where each child would bring in a dish from a different country or ethnic group, as to xpose each of us to various forms of Living. Mr. McNelly made me XCITED about Learning. He made me feel Comfortable on Stage; being one of the First Influences, aside from My Father and My Mother, to challenge me to join The Maryland Dramatic Reading Festival, or to Perform in My SchoolWide Talent Show. Mr. McNelly gave me leading roles in our Christmas Programs and Graduation Ceremony; playing Characters that somehow, Believe it or Not, Probably set me on the path that I travel NOW.
I am So PROUD to have been given the Opportunity to have this Man in My Life, during My Foundation Years, Academically. To me, Mr. McNelly is a Master of Scholastic Supremecy. Every Child whose Life he Touched, is Privileged in their own Right. I could NOT have asked for a More Profound and Prolific Academic XPERIENCE, at such a young age. I Only HOPE that One Day, My Children, Will Somehow, land in a Classroom that Celebrates and Highlights the Fruits of Success; MUCH like the Ones that Mr. McNelly Harvested for Me.



No comments:
Post a Comment