Monday, September 29, 2008

Tops UP, Bottoms DOWN.

Tops UP-Bottoms DOWN
Commentary by
Xem VanAdams-Lumumba
Have you ever paid attention to the FACT that amongst the Gay community, MANY of us tend to Chastize, Ridicule and Label young, men who play the 'Bottom, Passive Role' as SLUTS, quicker and easier than we do the SAME young, promiscuous men who play the 'Top, Aggressive Role'?
As far as I am concerned, a Promiscuous man is a Promiscuous man, regardless of the Sexual Role that he plays in the bedroom, or car, or dimly lit park alongside Druid Hill, in Baltimore.
LP!-Laughing Profusely
[I Digress]
Ive noticed that many of my Male Friends and Associates alike, tend to judge the sexual behaviors of Bottom Boys, a lot more harshly than those who classify themselves as 'Strict Tops'. SERIOUSLY. I HATE to make this comparison, BUT it's almost as Negative and UnFair as the Freshman girl in High School who gains the reputation of being a WHORE for sleeping with the Senior Classmen, and yet, the Senior Classmen continue to garner Accolades, Praise and Machismo Browny points for FUCKING as many of the Freshman girls as he can before Graduation.
There's a Gay Blogger who has become INFAMOUS for his tales of being a 'STRICT TOP', who has conquered the likes of 'Bottom-Boys' across New York City and Beyond. I happen to LOVE his writing style, as well as his Blunt and Abrasive telling and recount of the 'MANY' young men who have stained and experienced pleasured pains beneath his sheets. I think many of his readers get a Thrill from his amusing tales of Catch and Conquer, for he's sharing them from the Point of View of a young man who is the Aggressor; hence, a reflection of societal acceptance of Masculinity and Sexual Prowess. He represents the Black, Male-Brute; whom many attribute a long line of more severe, negative Stereotypes, regarding the Black Male, Globally.
My FEAR, is that MANY of our young men of the community, are also adapting the notion that their Promiscuous behavior is Sexy, Appealing and Acceptable, for as long as they are acting as the Penetrator, as oppose to the Penetrated. The detriments in such a Thought Process, is the FACT that with this ideology, also stems the notion that the behavior is SAFE, and therefore, regarded in engagement, without the use of a Condom or any other form of Sexual Protection.
Meanwhile, the Young Men who PREFER to be Penetrated, are NOT given the same leverage and freedom, in feeling sanctioned, in their promiscuous behavior; moreso because of the passive role they play, beneath their mates. We JUDGE the 'BOTTOMS' in the Gay Community, as being inferior, in comparison to their 'TOP' counterparts. Even in 'PLAY', we will joke with our friends by saying such things as,
'Shut Up U Sloshy Bottom'...or 'Fuck U, U Lil Bottom Whore.'
The term BOTTOM is used in a Derogatory manner, as to create a clear margin of seperation between the varying Sexual roles of our community.

I think MANY of us are also STILL associating the 'TOP' as this extremely HyperMasculine, Man, whose Bravado and Style are a reflection of the Hip-Hop mainstream, and Urban Trademark of 'Acceptance'. Accordingly, we associate the 'BOTTOM' with extremely Effiminate qualities that are suppose to reflect a sense of Weakness and Passive-Submissive behaviors.

It has become abrasively OBVIOUS to Me that the younger generation of Gay, Black, Males arent as 'COMFORTABLE' in declaring their Sexual Role. Now, more than ever before, EVERYONE labels themselves as VERSATILE, or VERSATILE-TOP/VERSATILE-BOTTOM. Im wondering if the 14-24 generation even exists in relationships where they ALWAYS play the same role in the bedroom, alongside their Boyfriends/Lovers/Friends/Fucks. I wonder if dudes in High School and Early College STILL ask, 'Are You a Top, or Are You a Bottom?' Im ASSUMING that dudes just enter into their 'Situations' as Versatile 'Performers'.

LP!

I'm personally ANNOYED by dudes who claim to have NEVER been penetrated, and then go on to declare that they will NEVER allow themselves to be penetrated. For me, YES, I allowed my Ex-Boyfriend to penetrate me, because I Loved him. There were no real boundaries in our relationship. Though Ive never allowed anyone else to get that close to me, and I dont particularly enjoy the feeling, I DO Believe that each of us has the ability to be SUBMISSIVE to a man who we TRULY Love. I think its almost necessary in order to determine, which role is PREFERED. Though I have a Strong, fairly Aggressive personality, I DO BELIEVE that IF I fell 'In-Love' again, at some point in my life, I WOULD be Open to the idea of being Submissive to my man. In return, even IF he was an Old School 'STRICT-TOP', I do Xpect that he WOULD allow me to do MORE with his ASS than to simply grab hold of it during intercourse.

I have Friends who entered their relationships as 'The Bottom', and naturally, over time, wanted to Explore OTHER territory. Their man wont allow them to Eat His Ass or anything that even comes Close. For Me, I could NEVER be in a relationship with a Man who would NOT allow me to Eat His Ass. Its my FAVORITE treat. Id prefer that over ANYTHING else, sexually. Seriously. I can MUNCH for HOURS...Well, for an Hour.

Im AFRAID that the Men in our community who are declaring 'STRICT TOP' Status, are the ones who Privately THINK that they are PRIZED because their Ass/Hole has never been Touched. Its So RIDICULOUS how WE, GAY Men, place Titles and Labels on Every Damn Thing we Say, Do, Wear, Touch, See, Smell, Hear and Know...

Do You THINK and/or FEEL that BOTTOMS in our community or even the Label, 'BOTTOM' is Inferior in comparison to TOPS or the Label 'TOP'?


'Creation is Representation' [Xem; August 2008]

'Knowledge and Artistry ABOVE My own VANITY' [Xem; July 2008]

'Im Drenched in Love and Showered by Support'[Xem; April 2008]

'Life Without Photographs are Moments that Never Happened'[Xem; August, 2007]

6 comments:

Cash S. said...

I think things would be so much easier if everyone was vers. Just be free and do everything. But, of course that will never happen.

I did a similar post on this subject a while back and it still gets under my skin. I can't stand the stereotypes that are associated with either label. They are getting old and tired and people really need to change the way they think about this. I know some submissive people that top and I know some aggressive people that bottom. Choosing to bottom does not make you inferior at all and choosing to top sure as hell does not make you superior.

Bottoming is an act; topping is an act. I see those terms as verbs rather adjectives. Top doesn't describe who you are as a person; neither does bottom. If you’re a hoe you’re a hoe, no matter which role you choose to perform.

Unknown said...

It is all about perception and it is sad because most gay men still feel that if they are on the bottom then they are weak which = feminine. I find it funny to be honest with you that we are sexually different yet we have this STRONG desire to be the same…But w/e we need to get our act together…

Anonymous said...

first i'd like to say... lol @ "dimly lit park alongside Druid Hill, in Baltimore." There's a story to why I think that is so funny, which DOES NOT involve me, rather a close friends of mine and an encounter he had at some park in that area...

This topic, along with everything else you write about, is so real. I myself find that people tend to judge the bottom a lot more harshly than they would the top. A whore is a whore, no matter what position they play. The word "bottom" has almost become synonymous with weak or inferior. The irony is that the BOTTOM is the one who has to have the stamina to endure the "pleasure/pain" of another man thrusting his penis in and out of his ass. CLEARLY this takes some strength, and should not be construed as weakness.
If I had to call myself something sexually i'd call myself a bottom. For me it is all about power. I'm perfectly comfortable with letting a man 'think' he is calling the shots when in reality I'm always in control of the situation. I know inside that i've always got complete control, and if I like where things are going then fine, but if not I can always tell him to GET OFF ME, and he has no choice but to oblige. Tops don't exactly have that power, once their penis is erect they usually like to 'finish the job'. In my opinion we've got more power. Plus I think it feels great... Relationships are a different story. A good relationship is one that can stay fresh, and interesting in every aspect especially sexually. Exploring 'new' areas is what you are SUPPOSED to do with your partner, so I could never see being with someone who confined themselves to the term "top" or "bottom" all the time. I mean... everyone has a preference... but idk about the SAME THING all the time.

It's all about the gay society. It is becoming more and more common that people say they don't want to be with a "fem" or they like "masculine", "straight-acting", "thugs", "trades" and since bottom has a feminine connotation that is why people try don't want to be known as a bottom. But not all bottoms are feminine and not all feminine men are bottoms, just like not all masculine men aren't tops. Until we as a community learn to accept one another and stop trying to make all these distinctions on who is better and who isn't it'll always be a problem...

Oh, and btw... the age group you mentioned... 14-24? Yeah, we DEFINITELY still have the conversation... "are you a top, bottom or verse", lol. trust me on that one.

Unknown said...

you hit another one out the park dude! good comments too fellas. nothing is absolute even in nature. with that said, i know no dude is absolutely one thing or another. period. you never know what you'll do until you're in "that" situation.

John Pierre said...

As a bottom, I have no qualms in speaking my mind about this issue. I have topped before in a previous relationship, and do believe that every individual in a same-gender-loving relationship should give both sides a go just to know which they prefer more. For me, taking on the role of the 'top' was not pleasurable. I much rather prefer to bottom.

However, being a bottom does not mean that I automatically take on the traits that are stereotypically, and unfortunately, associated with bottoms. As cash s. said in a comment above, there are aggressive people who bottom - myself being one of them. I think it's unfortunate that we as a "community" stigmatize or ridicule bottoms for a sexual role, which really has nothing to do with who they are as an individual. I've come across plenty of tops who possess traits generally associated with femininity.

Still, as a bottom, I've been subject to the semi-condescending look that is given when a friend or acquaintance finds out that you're the bottom. Automatically, they assume that you're easy, promiscuous, or a whore. Automatically, you are somehow inferior to whomever the top is in the relationship. In my opinion, it's ridiculous. It's like equating someone eating salads for lunch with someone who is a vegetarian. It's just a preference, not a definition of who you are.

I'm in a relationship now, and regardless of who 'dominates' who in the bedroom, we view one another as equals and respect one another as such. When I'm outside of the bedroom, or not with my significant other, my sexual role as a bottom has nothing to do with how I view or carry myself.

Sienna Freckle said...

First of all, let me say that I absolutely LOVE your blogs and videos. Your point of view is so refreshing to me, and you honesty catches me off guard!

I feel that I don't have enough life experience to have too much of an opinion on this topic; I'm a high school senior.

But what you said about the senior boy and the freshman girls, that was TOO true. I see it every day! In fact, they're known as Freshman Ho's instead of girls.