HyperMasculinity vs. HomoSexuality...amongst Fraternity Men...
Written by
ZaXEMbi Okechi Akosua Lumumba
Where is the Line______ Drawn?
We live in a day and time where Fraternities, both Black and White, have become, more than ever, a cess pool for a Testosterone filled climate of Sex, Exaggerated Aggression and a Sacred rite of passage that says, its ACCEPTABLE and HETEROSEXUAL to...
'Assume the Position'
BareBacked and Bottomed Up
Amongst the mainstream fraternities that exist upon college campuses across the country, its widely known that the outward presense of Gay men, within the physical structure of the fraternity groups, is still a taboo existence. I know, and you know as well, that Gay men exist within every structure and threshhold of American society; though, not every structure acknowledges the presense. Many pledges are often times ostracized and kicked off line if their Homosexuality or Masculinity is even questioned by their 'Big Brothers', at large. To become a member of mainstream fraternity structures, representing the American cut of Masculinity and a Machismo Bravado is almost given as the first rule of thumb.
NO FAGS ALLOWED is the underlying motto, scratched beneath the codes of conduct and belonging that celebrate CHARACTER-BUILDING, HONESTY, SERVITUDE, STRENGTH and BROTHERLY LOVE. Yeah Right...
Over the years, HAZING and other acts of passage which segway interested, pledges and young recruits into Full-Fledged members of these kindred groups, has become an unspoken and exposed practice of initiation. EVERYONE knows that Hazing plays a huge and significant role in the pledging process, especially amongst the Alpha-Male fraternities who pride themselves on strictly selecting the Best, Strongest and Brightest men. The rituals are rarely spoken of, publicly, as most of the daily, climatic escapades are designed to create a 'Bond' of Brotherhood; breaking one down from who they are, and building them into Who the 'Brotherhood' says they should be. Interesting enough, a lot of these practices have become public knowledge, as the result of years of incidents where students are killed, injured and/or humiliated beyond their own self-recognition.
Having never pledged a Fraternity during my college years, or ever being interested in following the memorized values and ideals that set Fraternity men on a pathway 'Greater than My Own', I can not attest to absolutely knowing what goes on behind closed doors.
HOWEVER...I find it quite interesting that in 'Assuming the Position' of being labeled as a Greek, Alpha-Male, a large part of the Hazing activities, tend to pair Male-beside-Male, in acts that constitute Grotesque, Homosexual behavior. In many photos that I have elected to NOT post, pledges are found imitating sodomy and fellatio upon themselves and pledge brothers, as well. In mimicking and mocking HomoErotic behaviors, its interesting to see how these young men are selling themselves to belong to groups which blatantly demonize the existence of Homosexual men, on all levels. I think that society tends to dismiss the Nude Play, Jerk Off Circles, Ass Paddling, and other Sexual activity within the confines of these All-Male groups as HYPERMASCULINE FUN. Instead of examining these activities as an outpour of sexual identity issues, and/or a display of pent up attraction towards the same sex, the acts are desaturated, as to excuse the behaviors.
In several readings that I've done over the past year or so, specifically geared towards the Homoerotic behaviors of Athletes, Military Men and Fraternity Boys, as they Celebrate Victories and Passage from one stage to the next, I discovered several findings. It seems to be more prevalent in the White community, that pledges or rookies aren't publicly ashamed to photograph themselves or videotape themselves in compromising positions with other men. I found numerous photographs and information regarding a Hazing ritual known as The Elephant Walk.
Pledges are aligned in a circle and forced to become erect. Each pledge grabs the erect penis of their line brother standing behind them, and sticks their thumb into the ass hole of their line brother who is standing in front of them. Collectively, the pledges march in a circle, and are not allowed to let go of either private area.
In comparison, Ive found many stories of pledges who have admitted to participating in Circle-Jerk sessions, where each pledge must nut/cum on 2 single slices of bread. The last pledge/recruit to nut/cum, is forced to sandwich the cum soaked slices of bread, and eat them, in full.
The famous Sambia tribe of New Guinea, maintains a ritual of passage, transforming Boys into Men, where the young boys are taken from their mothers, and forced to perform oral sex on the Men. As the boys swallow the semen of the men, it is believed that the semen will Masculinize the boys. WOW!
In this day and time, could the Obsessive consumption of Budweiser Beers, Vodka and various Protein Shakes, forced upon the pledges and recruits, be the substitution for Semen?
It's Very DIFFICULT, at least it has been for Me, to find Stories, Facts and Information in regards to whether or not the above stated practices are actually instituted in the Hazing practices of Black Fraternities. The Black and Latino community happens to be the most HOMOPHOBIC ethnic groups that presently exist in American culture. Though its NOT Hard to believe that Black Fraternities practice a lot of these same Disgusting, Male-on-Male passages, performed by White Fraternities, it is hard to believe that No one is coming forward with the information.
How far do 'HETEROSEXUAL' men have to explore, practicing and playing, sexually with other men, before we acknowledge the fact that the behavior is indicative of negated HomoSexual Desires, and Not simply a HyperMasculine string of Celebration and Fun....?
'Life Without Photographs are Moments that Never Happened'~{Xem; August, 2007}~
12 comments:
Wow this is intereting. I'm not a member of a fraternity, but I have thought about and still am thinking about joing one. I've heard some crazy stories as well, but don't know exactly what takes place. It is very homoerotic.
LMAO..I'm sitting over here, still trippin about the cum sandwich, are you serious?
WOW!
I thought about joining a faternity, but the whole sexuality thing did cross my mind, but like someone told me would had already crossed over, about pledging a black faternity and sorority greek...Know your limits ahead of time. Don't do anything, that you truly don't want to do, its not worth it. Still have a mind, they respect that too. I have a feeling though that the black faternities aren' doing the whole elephant walk or cumming in a sandwich.
Isn't that unsanitary?
A mess!!!!!! Just disgusting! Cumming on bread and stuff is not cute at all lmao.
I never got the biggie on fraternity's anyway, @ least not the ones they have today. In the old days I know they had more of a meanining to them, but now it's like BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!!!!!
um, wow.
i'd have been fine never knowing what an elephant walk was.
ugh.
i think white frats in particular have gone waaaay overboard with the hazing. and white men in general are just much more comfortable with doing things that may be perceived as 'gay'.
even if they were gay though, that's just nasty. an elephant walk?
ga-ross. lol.
thanks for stopping by mi casa.
hope all is well.
don't be a stranger either!
very nice blog and writing skills.
I am now a Huge fan! See I'm a youngin to this whole blog world and your stylr of writing and delivery is where I aspire to reach over the next months! Please feel free to stop by my blog and critique and just to say hi! and you live in LA-where I maybe for law school in some years! Anyway to the topic at hand!
Being that I am incoming college freshman-Greek life, to me, does not have the overall sense of brotherhood and community involvement as it once did, but there are still chapters of frats that do! As a responsible individual you have to recognize that every chapter of any frat is different and ran by someone who is different! If fucking your pledges is a way for people to cross that's not a frat I wanna join- for some of thristy kids of today, that's a dream come true- but for me, I'm not going to pledge that frat! Being a gay black male, we have to find the ones that look past all of that nonsense and actually have an organazation that is about helping it's people advance their lives! Nothing more, nothing less! As hard as it is to believe, some chapters who are ran like this, do exsist! But at this moment, I don't know if I am patient enough to stick around and search! lol
Love this topic and now you have one more FAN!
This is very well written. It's my first time here, and I dig your writing style. I'll be back and I saved you in my favorites. Thanks for stopping by Realism...I'ma have to get into the archives and see what I can learn about you, bruh.
wow first off I wanted to say this is a great read:-) I hear of the ridiculous hazing that happens at my school with sorrorities and frats which is one of the main reasons i will NEVER pledge. there is no way someone demeaning my character will make me a better woman. That should apply to guys as well. Most people(at my school anyway) pledge for a popularity contest and somewhere in there the real meaning of being a part of a sisterhood/brotherhood gets lost. The fact that these homoerotic rituals are apart of the hazing process further proves my point
*whoo all thats out now LOL*
second you get added to the blog roll cause you are from bmore! there isnt alot of us on here..so glad to meet another baltimorean:-)
Ill be back:-) sorry for the long comment lol
Very interesting piece man.
From my own personal experience of going through this I must say that this is not the norm but an exception. While I have heard of somethings that would be considered mildly homosexual in nature... this is a first of hearing of anything blatently homosexual like the elephant walk or circle jerk sessions.
Interesting indeed. I never knew all this really existed. Honestly, it turned me on a bit. That is, of course, until you mentioned that god awful bread and cum scenario. I just thre up.
what an intense and interesting topic to tackle. i've never been interested in fraternities so i never even thought about the almost non-existent line between hyper masculinity and homosexuality. its a shame i mean that a frat would turn a way someone who happens to be gay just for that reason. but if i understand fraternities at all i do know that they have certain images they want to uphold ,and we all know the world revolves around image, and if someone on the line or a fellow brother does anything or could potentially do anything to jeopardize that, well then being kicked out of the frat or not even being accepted or made to feel uncomfortable amongst your fellow 'brother's is inevitable.
i look at the similarities between frats and sports teams. i've always heard about the underlying homoerotic undertones that live with in those specific organizations and are never questioned. there have probably been studies done countless times about this. but i would love to know what goes through the mines of the 'hyper masculine' men and what insecurity that they harbor that forces them to have this overt, almost nauseating , masculinity that forces them to degrade and belittle other men that don't possibly fit the criteria that it takes to be a 'man'.
this is an interesting topic man. i guess this is one of my oblivious moments where i live in my own world, but until reading this and actually sitting down and putting thought into it, i would've never even thought about this. truly sparked my interests.
I am not surprised at all.
Though I never pledged a fraternity, I am ex-military. The things I saw in my six short years of enlistment would knock your socks off.
I also believe that organized sports are just as likely to be breeding grounds for Homo-erotic behavior, but it is often glossed over.
I honestly believe that anytime you have a situation where many men are put together something is bound to jump off. So many dicks... one is bound to get erect.
Post a Comment